1/23/2012

The Dangers of Liking Something Too Much

Next up, and up again, is The Player of Games by Iain Banks.  Banks' Culture stories are great in the way I imagine that a tiger best friend would be.  I would call him a favorite author of mine with just a minimum of debate, mostly for formality's sake.

I often hang on to books to re-read them and there are many examples of these titles on my shelves (I'm mildly notorious for going on a Dark Tower binge and flying through the thing every couple of years).  I've decided that since I never got rid of some of the books I've finished, I must have meant to read them again and therefore they're just like any other book on the list.  

There are a few books which I've exempted - the Dark Tower books and a handful of others that I consider  'Library Titles' in my collection.  My marker here is whether it's a title I pick up repeatedly, or if it's something I read once and didn't part with in the great sell-off of 2010.  If I've read it twice or more, I don't have to re-read it by December and I certainly don't have to get rid of it.

After Banks, I will loose an assault on Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  I didn't like that Hunger Games ended without ending, so I haven't read the other two yet.  Since they will be quick reads, I'm going to get them out of the way instead of paying for them later.  I'm thinking it will then be time for something non-fiction, maybe finishing Ratification, to restore my sanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment