1/09/2012

Week 1: In the Beginning ...

This week's reading was not very productive.  Despite the pleasure of having finished some projects, cleaning at home and typical job stuff, next week I'm going to have to see about crafting a better routine.  Saving reading for before bed is fine for leisure, but isn't getting the (big) job done.

Barring any errors on the part of Amazon's page counting, I have pegged the total number of pages for my library at 55,328.  When I was just viewing my goal by the count of books (126), then too it seemed completely unattainable, but in that way as I'd make a huge effort and though the actual result was fairly meager, my determination and heart would transform the moral victory into something uplifting and symbolic.  You know, like in that movie Rudy?  Except with books?

Hopefully some of the more embarrassing titles will be quick reads where they might not be literature.  Between a generous employee discount and my general lack of standards or class, many books that should have been left well enough alone have followed me home from an impulsive evening at the bookstore.  I am perfectly willing to spend fifty cents to read a dumb book; It is not beyond my station in life.

I'm looking forward to reading the Tripods Trilogy and prequel next week.  I cannot remember having finished the series when I first read them years ago.  I hope to also finish Hidden Empire (first of The Saga of Seven Suns), and if there's more time, I will continue my long trek through The Stand.

One book finished so far is a poor start.  I'm not sure if this is actually a big goal or not, nor am I sure exactly what I'm going to define as acceptably completed.  Next week I'm going to do better work.

No comments:

Post a Comment