1/11/2012

Moving Quicker, But With More Style

One of the challenges of trying to blog simultaneously with a large reading goal is how completely incompatible the activities are with one another.  Trying to read a book while posting is simply not possible.  If you believe they are tasks which can be completed in unison, your eye biology varies from my own and your brain works in an alien and marvelous way.

I have been challenging myself to read for shorter stints and trying to move faster through the text.  I am concerned that in the attempt to read all of this material, I might have to rush through things and will not get to experience what some author might have envisioned to be read at a languished pace.  That, I suppose, would have been something to consider when I didn't read that book last year.

I've also been avoiding the constant temptation of mine to jump from book to book and read several things at once.  This is a great tactic for television: everything happens in segments with defined beginnings and endings.  It is possible to compartmentalize between episodes and move between shows regularly.  Reading, for me, is not nearly so successful when handled as such a free-range enterprise.

I can only hope that in the long run I may transfer these efficiencies from my reading into my everyday life and work.  I am an easily distracted person by nature.  Like how I just posted to my blog instead of finishing up a chunk of reading.

You, extant reader, are becoming the problem here.

1 comment:

  1. Hrmmm... maybe your mighty magistrate needs to set you some blogging guidelines, too, right?

    I decree that the blog posts I'm interested in are about the books you've finished - ideas of things to tell u after you finish each one: whether you liked it and/or found it worthy of the shelf space it took up while you had it, someone you'd recommend it to (if relevant), etc.

    Also - maybe try setting a time aside each day (even 30 min would do) that is your "blogging time," and only let yourself write for that time. Set an egg timer if necessary, and whenever it goes off, you're done. The rest of the time could be for reading?

    Too many ideas? I dunno! All I know is that I'm rooting for you and want to help you do well!

    ReplyDelete