1/17/2012

Tripods

Blaster has mightily recommended some changes for me and my blogging habits.  First, she'd like to see daily blog posts from me.  This is possible, so I will attempt it.  Maybe it won't be about a completed book, but I'll put something up.

Further, she wants me to elaborate on the books I'm finishing.

I wrapped up the main trilogy of the Tripods by John Christopher, a late '60s series about giant mechanical Tripods that rule over humanity.  This is children's science fiction; I was assigned the first book in the series somewhere around the 4th grade.  These are kids books in the truest sense.

A young man chooses to flee his home, rather than succumb to conformity, finding wild adventure and suspense as he travels through northern Europe and joins up with the last free men on Earth.  Will, the teenage protagonist, becomes the lynchpin in the struggle to rid our planet of the Tripods' tryannical torment.

I picked them up out of a sense of nostalgia.  Having read them again, I'm not really impressed, though I can easily see why a young person would like them.  I found them to be odd, and there is probably the difference of 45 years and cultural variation to blame.

I was made a bit uncomfortable when Will infiltrates the city of the Masters, and he is playing the part of the obedient human slave.  The scenes in which his Master is "fondling" Will with his tentacles and Will has to pretend to enjoy it were plain old wrong.  Yikes, for real.  These kinds of scenes aren't uncommon in dystopic fiction, but the presentation of it here, with an unwilling male teenager and the Master ... we just don't write things that way anymore.

I have not yet read the prequel, When the Tripods Came. I am sorely tempted to skip it, but it isn't long and I'll probably read it in the morning just to be done with it and to save the $1.60.

I would reccomend this book: to anyone reading to a niece/nephew who maybe doesn't like that niece/nephew

I got this book: at work, $1 for all four

This book is now: going into the donation box

1 comment:

  1. Hehe- so sorry I was unclear, Trav! I guess I didn't mean you had to blog each day, only that if you're finding yourself taking too much time blogging, you should set a timer for how long you write and not let yourself go over. I don't mean to be a cruel taskmaster. ;o)

    I like the recommendations/where you got it info. That's fun - and way to go!!

    ReplyDelete